In my opinion indentured servitude is not fair. It can be unfair to people because no matter when they started they are free they turn 21. The indentured servants weren’t always treated fairly. Some kids were kidnapped and forced into indentured servitude. Although some kids agreed to it, they didn’t know the conditions they would be working in. 

This system wasn’t fair to the younger children. Older children worked for fewer years than younger children. In the article, “Bound For a New Life” Robert worked for nine years while Sarah worked for seven years. Robert came over when he was 12 and Sarah came over when she was 14. They both became free at 21. 

They were not treated fairly. The text stated that Sarah was beaten by her master’s wife. It said,” His wife was a mean-spirited woman who beat me for the smallest mistake. The article stated,” My clothes became ragged; my belly was never full.” In the article “ Bound For a New Life” it stated that Robert ate corn gruel, peas, and a tiny piece of bread. The servants were not treated fairly because most died from heat and disease.” According to the text,” Some opportunity! I had signed up for the chance to work my fingers to the bone in Jamestown.”

Some kids were kidnapped and forced into indentured servitude. In the text, it stated,” One terrible night, two men grabbed me and told me I was going to Virginia like it or not.” He was kidnapped so he can work for the Virginia Company with no pay until he was 21 and because they told him that kids like him are a disgrace. The text stated,” The men said that children like me were a disgrace.”  His parents were already dead by the time he was taken to Jamestown so he was an orphan in London. In the text, it stated,” By the time I was 12, both my parents were already dead.”

However, some kids agreed to go to Jamestown. Sarah was from a poor family and a man offered her a chance to go to Jamestown so she can work there for a few years. In the article, it stated,” In London my family was poor. One day in 1622, when I was 14, a man offered me a chance to sail to America. “ America is the land of opportunity for a poor girl like you,” he claimed. “Just work a few years in Virginia to pay for your passage on the ship…” Sarah had to think about it then she finally decided to sign the papers. The text stated,” I listened, thought, and finally decided to sign the papers.” When she signed the papers the man didn’t tell her all the conditions though. The article stated,” Some opportunity! I had signed up for a chance to work my fingers to the bone in Jamestown. For seven years, I cleaned and cooked, washed and mended. I tended my master’s children and weeded his vegetable garden…” She was also beat by her master’s wife. In the article” Bound for A New Life” it stated,” His wife was a mean-spirited woman who beat me for the smallest mistake.

Based on the text, my opinion is that indentured servitude is not fair. The younger a child was, the longer the child worked. They weren’t treated well. Some kids were kidnapped and others agreed to do it. Indentured servitude was not fair regardless if they agreed to it or not.